Partner at EVERSHEDS SUTHERLAND - Head of Clean Energy MENA
Iwan Walters is Head of Clean Energy and Sustainability in the MENA region and a partner based in the Dubai office of Eversheds Sutherland. His practice focuses on energy projects, but primarily clean energy projects such as solar, wind and biomass. Iwan has extensive experience advising on clean energy projects globally and has advised on over 30GW of projects in the MENA, Asia and North America. His clients range from utilities, private equity and infrastructure funds to banks and developers.
Iwan heads one of the most experienced team of clean energy lawyers on regional projects, having worked on over 20 of the Round II FiT solar projects in Egypt, and 10 out of the 12 Round I solar projects in Jordan. The team has won multiple awards for their work in the region including those of MESIA, MENASOL and IFLR.
Iwan’s recent clean energy experience includes:
- Advising one of the sponsors of the 300MW Sakaka solar PV project in Saudi Arabia.
- Advising one of the bidders on the 400MW Dumat al Jandal (DAJ) on shore wind project in Saudi Arabia.
- Advising a client on the largest private PPA in Saudi Arabia.
- Advised a number of the sponsors on the structuring of their solar PV projects in Egypt.
- Advised a Saudi Arabian developer on a roof top solar PV programme.
- Advised a bidder on the Noor Solar project in Morocco.
Iwan obtained his LLB from the University of Bristol, UK in 1997. He is admitted to practice in England and Wales.